What are smart rings and what are they used for?
Smart rings are considered the future of wearable technology, also known as wearable devices. Smart rings may not be as popular as smart watches or headphones, but Horizon looks promising for this fingertip technology.
Driven by startups, the rise of the smart ring industry has been very slow. In fact, smart rings have been around for a decade, but with the introduction of More and more patents and more and more large companies interested in this equipment, It’s only a matter of time before it explodes.
Developing them back then may have been difficult, but now brands like Apple and Amazon are proving that smart rings are possible and smart wearable technology could be the next big thing on the market.
Additionally, as society becomes more health and fitness conscious, new types of wearable devices are becoming an essential part of people’s daily lives today.
What are smart rings?
Smart rings are actually similar to the rings we wear as a daily accessory. However, this They added electronic functions that respond to specific gestures.
These may offer a solution to smartphone slavery. Instead of carrying your phone around all the time, you can keep something as discreet as these ringtones.
Note that development takes longer than you imagine but building it was always very complicated. This is largely due to The challenges of integrating technology into something as small as a ringIt hasn’t been easy to integrate Bluetooth, a chip and a sensor into a light light enough to wear on your finger.
What are the functions of these wearables?
These can be used for many applications. The most common uses that we have seen in the market today fall under the category of health and fitness. but Other practical applications include digital payments, online security and access control to certain places.
And that, of course, as this market matures, new functions will appear. It’s important to note that most smart rings don’t have a single feature. For example, a smart ring can record both your sleep patterns and your daily activities and even make payments, as it incorporates NFC technology.
In the form of The most remarkable works are:
1. Sleep monitoring: Monitoring sleep patterns is established, including changes, amounts and time spent in different sleep cycles.
They are quite a popular choice in this area mainly because They are more comfortable than smartbands, For instance. Some of the brands in this smart ring category are GO2SLEEP, Oura, Motiv, and THIM.
2. Fitness Tracker: They can track daily activities, including number of steps taken, distance traveled and calories burned.
3. Health and Wellness Management: These enable follow health standards Such as heart rate, blood oxygen level (SpO2), blood pressure and glucose level, among others.
There are also others, such as the Moodmetric Ring, which can be used to measure a user’s stress level via electrodermal activity (EDA).
4. Payment: This is an emerging trend in the industry. McIlroy and K Ring are among those already moving forward. You don’t need a smartphone or a bank account number to make contactless payments; All you have to do is bring the smart ring near the POS terminal and the transaction is done.
5. Smart Remote & Keys: Whether setting alarms, receiving messages or call notifications, or controlling music, smart ringtones are a great tool for these processes. On the other hand, there are now token rings that have an optical sensor inside Allows you to open your house or car instead of using a key.
6. Online Security: This feature is just starting to become a very real thing in smart rings. The mobile ring, for example, uses Two-factor authentication to log in to your accounts.
A very promising online security feature in Smart Ring is biometric authentication, which offers a safer way to browse the web than passwords and PINs. Motiv is already testing fingerprint scanning and facial recognition as authentication methods.
How to integrate technology?
It’s quite curious considering how smart rings integrate electronic components in such a small format. It must be said that it integrates not one, but several technologies, such as a An NFC chip, a sensor, a bluetooth chip, a battery, a microcontroller, an indicator light, etc.
More problems arise at the design stage, although it is true that technological advances contribute to these shortcomings and integrate all the designated technologies in a simpler way.
Another challenge is Find the right size options and fits. In the case of a smart ring, the main consideration is size, as it may not fit everyone’s fingers and you cannot adjust it yourself. Many companies already provide support in this aspect so that you can buy one that suits you perfectly.
Advantages and disadvantages of smart rings. Is it really worth buying one?
Currently, it is not possible to say whether smart rings are good or bad in general, as the technology is still new. Also, different rings have different capacities, and not all manufacturers get certain rights, that’s a fact.
Truth be told, smart rings don’t improve like smartwatches when it comes to the features they offer. But in reality, It all depends on how you are going to use the device.
The good thing about these is that they ensure that you won’t depend too much on your smartphone, which translates to less screen time. Also, unlike other wearables, smart rings don’t; They can last for days on a single charge, depending on what you buy.
If you need it for contactless payments, it’s probably the easiest and easiest solution compared to using a contactless card or smartwatch/smartphone.
However bad. That said, smart rings also have their challenges. especially when it comes to Design one that really covers all fronts and is useful. This increases the cost of owning one as you have to pay a lot for these. Right now they seem a bit more exclusive.
For example, the Motive Ring costs $200 and the Oura Ring costs $300. On the other hand, some smart rings with basic functionality are cheap. For example, the Maclear contactless payment ring will cost you $90.
Another big drawback ring size, Since there are models that may not be comfortable to wear all day, especially those that have a battery and a screen.
What is currently the best on the market?
The choice of the best connected ring depends on the use you want to give it. Currently, there is a wide range of categories to choose from. For example, Amazon offers quite a few NFC smart rings. These are three companies and their three best-positioned smart rings.
1. Our smart ring: Aura Ring is the first smart sleep tracking ring Also developed to control the circadian rhythm. Apart from that, it also incorporates various sensors that track daily activities, pulse, and body temperature.
With a battery that can last up to a week, it starts at $300.
2. Movable ring: it can easily be best fitness ring With a fine and very pleasant design. It tracks steps, distance, calories, and heart rate. Motive Ring also acts as an online security tool that lets you access websites.
It is waterproof up to 15 meters and its battery can last up to 72 hours and fully recharges in 90 minutes. This one is available for $200.
3. Token Ring: when it comes to digital payments and contactless access, This is the top 1 smart ring. It uses an optical sensor to detect if you’re wearing it, and when you take it off, it automatically locks so no one else can use it. This also includes the possibility of being able to pay with and is sold for $349.
Right now, smart rings are a diamond in the rough. But judging from what we’ve seen so far, smart rings are at least worth a try.